OPL header


Do you want to contribute to the library? 

Find out how

 

Osgood Public Library
136 West Ripley Street
Osgood, IN 47037

Phone: (812) 689-4011

Fax: (812) 689-5062

 

Milan Branch Library
1171 North Warpath
Milan, IN 47031

Phone: (812) 654-1963

Fax: (812) 654-1332

 

 

 

 

INSPIRE: Indiana's Online Research Library.  Find magazine and journal articles and much more!

 

Entre Nous dedicationHistory of the Osgood Public Library

 

 In 1909 the members of the Entre Nous Club of Osgood found through club activities that there was a need for more reading material for themselves and for the community.  They agreed that a public library was the answer.  Mr. George Ashman and Mr. R.J. Beer, the husbands of two of the members, undertook the raising of money for the first year of maintenance of a library.  Eighty-five subscriptions for $3.65 each were secured, a tax levy was granted, and the necessary steps were made to complete the organization.  Serving of the first Board of Trustees were:

Mr. George Ashman, President

Mrs. E.D. Freeman, Vice President

Mr. L.B. Stinnett, Secretary

Mrs. R.C. Townsend

Mrs. W. C. Leslie

Mr. R.J. Beer

Mr. E.D. Bower was appointed Librarian and Mrs. Clara B. Jones was selected as his assistant.  On January 21, 1912, the library opened in a room over the Osgood Bank (the building now occupied by Comer Law Offices).  The library's collection consisted of thirteen books donated by citizens and two hundred volumes loaned for a limited time by the State Library Commission.  The collection was enlarged by donations and "book showers".  The first books was checked out by Robert Ruoff, the son of Mr. and Mrs. Georage Ruoff.  Demand for reading material soon increased and, at the suggestion of Mr. R.J. Beer, the Carnegie Foundation was contacted for possible financial aid in building a library.  The Carnegie Foundation agreed to grant a building fund equal to ten times the amount raised by taxation for maintenance.  Their donation totaled $9,000.  Fifteen hundred dollars was the sum raised by public subscription for the lot on which the building is located.  Mr. and Mrs. Jacob Young donated extra footage of five by one hundred feet.  Mr. Gustave M. Drach was chosen as the architect and the bid of $8,400 for construction by Mr. Charles E. Morrell was accepted. 

Books were moved to the new building in July 1914, and on August 21, 1914, the building was dedicated.  On October 7, 1921, Center Township merged with the town of Osgood as a taxing unit for library services.  Changes to the structure of the library from 1921 to the renovation and addition project in 2005 were: roof design in 1973, modification to the front steps to allow handicap access and addition of elevator in 1989.

In 1986, Mr. Eugene Young donated to the library the two lots directly north of the Carnegie building, used in the renovation and addition project. 

The Osgood Public Library archives contain older books and materials dating from 1831.  There are many novels from the late 19th and early 20th centuries. 

The library's Genealogy/Local History collection includes the Violet Toph Papers, family records, certain marriage/death records, church records, and other material which is valuable for local history study.

Milan Branch

In 2002 the Osgood Public Library expanded to serve the townships of Franklin and Washington.  The Milan Branch is located in a former bank which was donated to the library.

Google

Click for Osgood, Indiana Forecast


©2006 Osgood Public Library